A sleeping giant in the hustle and bustle of Queens, New York, the Playland Motel is an adult wonderland harboring some serious design. Launched in July of this year, the Playland Motel is bring artistic personality with the eclectic flavor of the Rockaways with a distressed wood patio, a pebbled “beach” with folding chairs, a couple of plastic splash pools and inexpensive beers (1).
The principal owners (Robin Scott, Jamie Wiseman, Diego Galarza, and Eduardo Suarez) tapped 12 influential artists to bring each of the 12 rooms to life. At up to $250 a night, the Playland Motel offers guests an unparalleled experience to immerse themselves in the age-old saying “you can’t judge a book by its cover”; behind every door awaits a new adventure…
Here are my favorites:
01. ‘Perception’ from Simon Spurr
02. ‘My Bloody Dreams’ from Nadia Kaufhold
03. ‘Polo’ from Javier Pedraza Polo
04. ‘The Super Collective’ from Rawlins Calderone Design
05. ‘Captains Quarters’ from Ben & Jessica
06. ‘The Cactus Room’ from Federico Saenz-Recio
07. ‘Rebirth’ from Robbie & Apples
Justin Livingston is the founder and editor of Scout Sixteen. He lives in New York City with a cactus and an unwavering love for whiskey. See more from Justin below...